I love getting out of the house and meeting fans and friends. My schedule for 2017 is already underway. If you wind up at any event I’m at, be sure to say stop and say hi.
My schedule for Gen Con is filling up fast. This is the show I never miss. It’s Gen Con 50—and my 36th time going in a row—so it’s sure to be even bigger than ever.
If you’re a gamer, there’s no better place to be, but Gen Con’s also a haven for readers and writers. The Writer’s Symposium features dozens of amazing writers chatting about their books and their craft, and I always appear on three or four panels with them. On top of that, there’s the Industry Insiders program, which stars dozens of the top game industry professionals talking about their craft. I’m on the advisory panel that selects these pros from a slew of applicants every year, and this year’s packed full of amazing talent.
Anyhow, here’s what’s on my public slate. (The rest of the time, I’m hanging out with friends, having business meetings, and playing games with my kids. Not necessarily in that order.)
Wednesday, August 16
- The Diana Jones Award party. (This is a private affair I host every year for industry professionals. If you’re one and don’t know about it, ping me for details.)
Thursday, August 17
- 5 PM: Writer’s Life: Develop Your Writing Process. With Mercedes Lackey, Larry Dixon, and John Helfers.
- Hitting the They Might Be Giants concert.
Friday, August 18
- 11 AM: The Secrets of Superhero RPGs: With Crystal Frasier, James Lowder, Jessica Price, and Amber Scott.
- 1 PM: Playing Exploding Kittens at the Worldbuilders party. All proceeds go to Worldbuilders, a fantastic charity!
- 6 PM: Writer’s Craft: How to Write Bestselling Tie-In Fiction. With David Mack, Aaron Rosenberg, and Christopher Morgan.
Saturday, August 19
- 11 AM: Humor in RPGs: Are You Having a Laugh? With James Wallis.
- 12 PM: Business of Writing: Hybrid Publishing—Covering All the Bases. With Kameron Hurley, Linda Robertson, and Gail Z. Martin.
- 1 PM: Signing in Author’s Avenue in the Exhibit Hall.
- 2 PM: Brave New Worlds Seminar. Come discover what’s in store for the second edition of my Brave New World RPG!
- 3 PM: Every Meeple Tells A Story: Games & Narrative. With Jake Alley, Nicole Lindroos, James Lowder, and James Wallis.
- 4 PM: Brave New Worlds demo. A demonstration of the second edition of my Brave New World RPG. All proceeds go to Child Advocates!
- 6 PM: Writer’s Craft: Writing Stories That Are Fun to Read. With Larry Correia and Aaron Rosenberg.
I was a guest at this show a few years back, and I had a wonderful time. It’s taken me a while, but I’m returning this year for more fun. I hope to be running a few demos of Brave New Worlds and sitting on a number of panels with the rest of the guests.
They’re also raffling off several signed copies of my Rogue One junior novel for those who buy badges to the show, so get in on that action if you can.
Wisconsin has a wealth of excellent gaming conventions, probably due to the fact that roleplaying games were born here. That and the fact it’s so cold here during the winter that you’ll take any good excuse to get together with friends and have fun.
I’ll be a guest once again at this fantastic show, held at the Alliant Energy Exhibition Center in Madison. My kids and I had a wonderful time here last year, and I’m sure you will too if you join us.