Star Wars vs. Star Trek Contest Winner
Thanks to everyone who participated in the Star Wars vs. Star Trek contest I ran yesterday. I had something over 70 entries, including match-ups made here, on Twitter, and on Facebook. The winner is Randy Mac Kay, who entered via the Facebook poll. I’ll ship him out an autographed copy of the book today!
It was the first time I’ve ever run a giveaway like this, and I had no idea what to expect. Star Wars Day (May the Fourth) kind of snuck up on me, but when I realized that the book would be out soon, it seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up. My friends over at Tor.com agreed, and they ran a free excerpt from the book and also offered to run a giveaway of their own, which hauled in 97 entries itself.
Many of the entries were fantastic, and it’s probably no coincidence that a number of them already appear in the book — which none of you could yet know, of course. Thanks to everyone who joined in, and another thanks to those who helped spread the word. A special thanks to Scott Rouse, who thrashed out the contest with me on Twitter the night before I got it rolling.
I hope you all had as much fun as I did. We’re definitely going to have to do this again.
You can read the full list of match-ups submitted after the break.
- Millennium Falcon vs. Enterprise
- Borg Cube vs. Death Star
- Han Solo vs. James T. Kirk
- Worf vs. Chewbacca
- Lightsaber vs. Phaser
- Jabba the Hutt vs. Harry Mudd
- Orion Slave Girl vs. Slave Girl Leia
- The Jedi Council vs. the Klingon Council of Warriors
- Midichlorians vs. Borg Nanobots
- Gungans vs. Tribbles
- Captain Kirk vs. Obi Wan Kenobi
- Spock vs. Yoda
- The Borg vs. The Empire
- Chewie vs. Jar Jar
- Wesley Crusher vs. Anakin Skywalker
- Ewoks vs. Tribbles
- Leia vs. 7 of 9
- George Lucas’s ego vs. William Shatner’s ego
- Yoda vs. Kirk in a poetry slam
- Lando vs. Riker in ladysexin’
- C3PO vs. Data: Who can talk you to death best?
- Vader vs. the Borg, best cyborg parts!
- Gonk power droid vs. Morn
- Ewoks vs. tribbles, battle of the furries. Wait that sounds bad.
- Tribbles vs. Ewoks. Which are cutest?
- Khan vs. Vader
- Jar Jar vs. the Tribbles
- Kirk and the Corbomite Maneuver vs. Leia and the thermal detonator. Which was the gutsier bluff?
- Lightsaber vs. phaser
- X wing vs. shuttle
- Proton vs. Photon
- Jawa vs. Ferengi.
- R2 vs. Data.
- C3PO vs. Data
- The Emperor vs. Trelane
- Lando Calrissian vs. The Outrageous Okona.
- The Klingons vs. the Empire
- The ever “reliable” Millenium Falcon vs. the ever regenerating Enterprise
- Wesley Crusher vs. Anakin Skywalker
- Styrofoam Rock vs. CGI Rock
- The Gungans vs… TRIBBLES! Though the Gungans would start off strong and many a Tribble would lose their lives, in the end, the inherent cuteness of the Tribbles would triumph as the Gungans would eventually collapse and cry out, “Meesa want one!”
- Q vs. Yoda
- Star Trek vs. Star Wars, I choose Babylon 5
- Voldemort vs. Gandalf! Oops, wrong properties
- You have the chance to solve an age old conundrum here: who would win a match up between an Imperial Stormtrooper (who can never hit anything) and an Enterprise Redshirt (who is guaranteed to die)?
- Borg vs. ObiWan. “Jedi mind tricks are irrelevant. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”
- I guess Star Wars would win any space battle because they can ignore the laws of physics. Other than that Slave girl Leia versus Orion Slave girl.
- Jar Jar vs. Harry Mudd
- Alexander Courage vs. John Williams. Yes, John Williams’ score is terrific, but we’ve heard him do so many variations on the same theme over the years. Who can forget the original Star Trek theme, not to mention the classic fight music?
- The Force vs. Scotty “given all she’s got Captain!”
- Jawa vs Ferengi. Do they cooperate or compete?
Note that there aren’t 70+ entries here. Some people either submitted (or voted on the Facebook poll) for the same things.