The Diana Jones Award shortlist was announced today! Congratulations to all the nominees!
28th July 2009 For immediate release
SHORTLIST FOR 2009 DIANA JONES AWARD ANNOUNCED
Two RPGs, a card-game, a mystery and a Scandinavian collective vie for hobby-gaming’s most exclusive trophy
The committee of the Diana Jones Award has released the shortlist for its 2009 award. This year the shortlist contains five nominees that in the opinion of the committee exemplify the very best that hobby-gaming has produced in the last twelve months. In alphabetical order, they are:
- Dominion, a card game by Donald X. Vaccarino (published by Rio Grande Games)
- Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, a role-playing game by Andy Collins, Rob Heinsoo, Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, and James Wyatt (published by Wizards of the Coast)
- Jeepform, a game-style from Scandinavia (fostered by the Vi åker jeep collective)
- Mouse Guard, a role-playing game by Luke Crane (published by Archaia Studios Press)
- Sweet Agatha, a mystery game by Kevin Allen Jr (self-published)
The winner of the 2009 Award will be announced on Wednesday 12th August, at the annual Diana Jones Award and Freelancer Party in Indianapolis, the unofficial start of the Gen Con Indy convention.
ABOUT THE AWARD
The Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming was founded and first awarded in 2001. It is presented annually to the person, product, company, event or any other thing that has, in the opinion of its mostly anonymous committee of games industry luminaries, best demonstrated the quality of “excellence” in the world of hobby-gaming in the previous year. The winner of the Award receives the Diana Jones trophy.
The short-list and eventual winner are chosen by the Diana Jones Committee, a mostly anonymous group of games-industry alumni and illuminati.
Past winners include Peter Adkison, Jordan Weisman, the role-playing games Nobilis, Sorcerer, and My Life with Master, and the board-game Ticket to Ride. This is the ninth year of the Award.